Smothered Chicken and Cornmeal Waffles
I know that the classic meal is Fried Chicken and Waffles. I sometimes like to add gravy to my chicken and waffles. Then, it occured to me, why not cook the chicken in the gravy to make it even mo' betta the get go? Here is my recipe if you're in the mood for some comfort in your food. It's still okay to add syrup, decadent but okay.....
|Cook Time||60 minutes|
- 1 cup chicken cut up (8 pieces)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream or half and half
- 1/2 sweet white or yellow onion sliced
- Seasoned salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 tablespoon kitchen bouquet browning sauce
- Heat oil in frying pan.
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with seasoned salt and pepper on both sides.
- Dredge chicken in flour.
- When oil is hot, brown chicken on both sides, remove from pan immediately.
- Add flour to oil, stir to make a paste (roux).
- Continue stirring the roux until it starts to brown.
- Whisk in chicken broth, kitchen bouquet and cream until there are no lumps.
- Return chicken pieces to pan, spoon gravy over chicken.
- Cover with lid, simmer on low flame for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve over white rice or with your favorite southern sides.
You can serve this chicken over white rice or like I did with your favorite waffle recipe. Don't have one, try mine....
Share this Recipe